Old February 15th 04, 10:46 PM
Des Bromilow

Perhaps I should qualify the tpe of work I intend doing with the setup....
SOldering 9ct gold wire into rings (jump ring size) for making a chain.

Thanks,
Des
"Des Bromilow" wrote in message
Hi,

I'm starting out and need to buy a torch for general metal work (I'm
considering a primus Propane torch with swappable tips)
Ideally I'd like to be able to use the torch for soldering and work in

basic
jewellery as well as my own engineering tasks like annealing and

tempering.
I've seen the discussion here concerning oxy/acet, and mouth blown etc,

but
wondering if a simple propane only torch (uses ambient air drawn in the

the
oxygen flow) is even worth considering for the purposes of soldering,
annealing and maybe some casting. (my work would be in 9ct gold primarily)
I would be changing the tips to suit the work (ultra pin point for
soldering, medium for annealing and casting) and using a 9lb refillable
bottle for my fuel source.

thoughts?

thanks,
Des