Old September 16th 06, 04:58 AM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl

Default rolling mill questions

When lemel_man put fingers to keys it was 9/15/06 4:17 AM...

Basically, when you roll a wire or strip the width increase depends on
the ratio of the previous width to thickness. The bigger the ratio the
smaller the increase, but its not linear. I worked out some sort of
correlation between the ratio and percentage increase and found I could
get pretty accurate results, especially for ratios smaller than about
10:1. Based on that work, I would say that 1.2mm square wire rolled down
to 0.1mm would end up close to 4mm wide.
For what its worth, my calculations suggest that 2.2mm square wire
rolled to 0.1mm would end up around 10mm wide. But as said above, the
accuracy at a ratio of 100:1 is not good. With more work it could
probably be improved, but in my case its just not worth it.

Hmmm...

http://c-24-63-36-176.hsd1.ma.comcas...llingChart.gif

Add some more points and it could be useful, Yes?

There has _got_ to be something like this out there in the literature.

- CW