Old December 27th 05, 02:08 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default What did Santa bring?

Irene, no problems with mice or anything getting into it?

Cindy

"IMS" wrote in message
A ton of pellets is about 3-1/2 to 4 feet square, by about 4 feet high.
We have them stacked 8 feet high in our basement, so I'll leave the rest
of the math for you

My DH is a heating contractor, and has followed fuel types and prices
for the past 15 years or so.Here's how it's figured.

A ton of pellets = 100-125 gal of oil

We did get a very good pellet stove, it's as efficient as our oil fired
boiler unit. And we're pleasantly surprised it's heating better than we
planned....our boiler has come on only to heat our hot water since
April. We just got a bill for 1/2 a tank of fuel oil (150 gallons) and
the price is $385. The pellets have cost us between $144 - $202 a ton
depending on where and when we got them.

Based on those prices, out 100-125 gal of oil and a ton of pellets
that's about what the savings is.

I could do up an example if you like

Gotta say the pile of pellets in the basement makes me warm just looking
at them.

-Irene

On Mon, 26 Dec 2005 09:21:49 -0800, DrQuilter
wrote:

Sounds great! (how much space do 5 tons of pellets occupy? not really
sure what a pellet or a pellet stove is). But unless I am misssing
something, I don't get it: I just paid $500 for 150 gallons of fuel oil!!

IMS wrote:

My DH and I got a Harmon pellet stove for the house. Plus 5 tons of
pellets stored away snugly in the basement. Ok, we got it in October,
really but decided it would be our Christmas gift to each other

We spent a wonderful, warm Christmas with it yesterday...along with the
warm two months we've already had. The stove has electronic thermonstat
controls so you set it to the temperature you want the room at...it
shuts itself on and off and keeps to temp constant. We're already
saving $75-100 on every ton of pellets we use, which is the equivalent
of 100 gallons of fuel oil. Yippee!

-Irene

You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
--Mae West