Old October 28th 11, 09:38 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
BEI Design[_3_]

Default Advice re Sewing Machine

CindiA wrote:
"BEI Design wrote
Juno B wrote:
On 10/28/2011 3:47 AM, BEI Design wrote:

big snip
Key phrasing there is "she's (and I'm guessing you're
talking about me) happy for now." Which is all I asked
for "for now."

Please accept my sincere apology, I was not intending to be
snarky. We just see so many newbies "here" who want to
learn to sew, hope they can cut corners on their tools, but
then are so frustrated by them they quit sewing all
together.

FWIW, that is to say, to somewhat redeem myself in your
eyes: Both of my parents worked their entire careers
with Singer. As such I learned sewing by osmosis and was
raised in a household that had more sewing machines than
you could shake a stick at. Several of which I still own
and use. I am certain beyond any doubt that both of them
are furiously rolling over in their graves over my
purchase of a cheap plastic Brother machine. LOL!! BUT
they were also frugal and practical, and for the purposes
that I wanted this machine, even they probably would've
said "Yeah, buy the cheap one for schlepping to class and
hold out for Santa to bring you a really good for-real
one."

My advice remains: with a small budget, an older well
maintained mechanical machine will be a better investment.
One can always keep it in reserve for the times when the
'good' machine goes in for regular service. I hope your
Brother CE8080 performs well, and you get your dream machine
soon. ;-)

--
Beverly
http://ickes.us/default.aspx