Old July 9th 04, 04:48 AM
muse9

Polly Esther wrote:

Hello Polly! How I look forward to your responses!

I know everything. How I know everything is because I have made all of the
mistakes, some of them several times. Do Not even think about a polyester
batt. Even worse, don't think that a high loft polyester batt is lovely.
Just no telling how many quilters have fallen by the wayside attempting to
machine quilt with those.

Well, I've always believed that the best way to learn is by our mistakes!
So I have another strong vote in favor of the all cotton batting. This is
good to hear!

The 80% cotton 20% polyester is a batt that is just fine for

beginners.
Since I am the senior permanent member of the beginner category, I can
confidently recommend it. Hobbs Premium is a good one.

Oh, I'm glad you think that is OK - I may start with that one, at least for
this doll quilt. It seems like most people I talk with recommend Hobbs as a
good brand. That is important for me to learn as well.

One day, I'm going to try a silk batt and perhaps a wool one. Just for
the fun of it.

I didn't know you could get a silk batting! That sounds almost decadent!

The instructions for washing a batting before use if you are concerned
about shrinkage are on the batt bag. Believe them when they say Do Not let
the machine agitate. They aren't kidding. Did I mention that I have made

all
of the mistakes?

Ohh, I can imagine the mess you must get if you agitate batting! I did not
even think it was possible to wash it but I guess if you are very careful.
How do you dry your batting if you wash it?

Welcome to the addicted. We understand. Polly

It is so good to get that understanding! I truly feel addicted already!
And all the help I find here is wonderful!

Thanks again,
Bonnie