Old July 9th 03, 04:39 PM
D Brock

Hi Kalera:

One other thing to keep in mind as you decide: are you closer to one or the
other? AIM is Corvallis Oregon, I think Jen-Ken is in the east somewhere.
(Don't know if you have located distributors close to you.) But maybe if
you're close, you can pick up and save some shipping? And for kilns,
shipping could be fairly significant.

(Those of us in the Portland, Oregon, area are pretty lucky kiln-wise:
Skutt is here, EK Miller (Fusebox) is here, AIM is down the road in
Corvallis, I think there's someone manufacturing toolbox/mailbox annealers
on the coast...)

--Dave

P.S. Got a good laugh about your comments on building your own
controller --- first "I may build it myself", then "I don't really have time
to build my own, do I?" I go through that internal argument on so many
things all that time (most recently on rebuilding a malfunctioning oxygen
concentrator myself...)

"Kalera Stratton" wrote in message
OK, so collectively you guys have given good reviews to every kiln I'm
looking at!

Actually, you have been very helpful... I think I'm narrowing things
down. I do want a digital controller, but I may build it myself. I'm
currently very torn between buying a less expensive kiln so I can have
it sooner (I'm looking at an AIM or a Jen-Ken) or waiting and getting a
more expensive kiln; the Fusebox or the Arrow Springs. As of this
moment, I'm toward a Jen-Ken with a digital controller, because it's a
good kiln with a solid reputation, and I don't REALLY have time to build
my own, do I? LOL! I'm thinking that having it NOW would be a Very Good
Thing and perhaps even worth my while if I bought another, more
expensive kiln next year. It might even come close to paying for itself
in electrical expenses by then; using a large top-loading kiln to garage
beads is ridiculously wasteful.

I wish that there was a little annealer available for under $300; I'd go
for it, but even the smallest annealers suitable for garaging beads as I
make them is comparable in price to the cheaper fusing/bead kilns!

--
-Kalera
Mom of Juliet, 5, Sam, 3, and Ophelia, born 5/31/03
See us at www.strattonhome.org