Old February 22nd 07, 06:19 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Sandy

Default OT: The Congenitally Grammar-Picky (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

In article ,
"CATS" wrote:

Such errors in a training manual are inexcusable!

I am slipping into the habit of using internet
abbreviations/grammar/punctuation in emails and posts, but I
would never mail a letter that was not thoroughly checked.
The same applies to the notes I print out for my classes. I
will not pass out notes that have spelling/grammar errors.
And it annoys me that my failing eyesight means that I might
miss spelling errors more often now. (Don't anyone mention
spellcheck - we use English spelling here, remember
lol)

But what excuse do Govt Departments have to allow such poor
standards of correspondence on their letterheads?

The attitude now is "if it gets the message across, what
difference does it make?", but I recently wrote a tender for
a friend who is definitely challenged in the writing skills
area. When he was advised that he had won the tender he was
told that his was not the best bid, but that he had
submitted the most professional paperwork and was therefore
seen as the best tenderer. So at least some out there still
look for standards in writing and communication.

--

Cheryl & the Cats in OZ
o o o o

I agree wholeheartedly with you, Cheryl. DH isn't the best in spelling
and grammar, so he *always* has me proof what he's sending out to his
students. When he was a high school principal, he did the same; his
secretary couldn't be trusted to correct things, as she was almost as
bad at spelling as he is and didn't care. :S

It used to embarrass me no end that letters from the district office
went out to parents with glaring mistakes in them. It infuriates me that
government sends out similar paperwork. I've even been tempted to write
to our local television and radio stations to ask if they have anyone on
staff to proofread newscasts and check pronunciation before someone goes
on the air and messes up.

It's just awful! My current pet peeve is the difference in its/it's and
similar words with and without apostrophes. I can't figure out why
people can't see that an apostrophe on a pronoun means that a letter is
missing. Therefore, "it's" really means "it is", not that something
belongs to "it". :S There is no such thing as "her's" or "their's".
Sheesh.
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
sfoster 1 (at) earthlink (dot) net (remove/change the obvious)