Old February 22nd 07, 08:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Hanne Gottliebsen

Default OT: The Congenitally Grammar-Picky (was OT Grammar Book New Log Cabin Quilt)

Megan Zurawicz wrote:

Incorrect usage of terminology:
examples: misuse of "speaker implies/hearer infers", "very unique" (unique =
"one of a kind"---how can something be "very one of a kind"?), "begging the
question" being used to mean "leads us to ask" rather than "trying to use
what you're trying to prove as proof of itself", etc.

"begs the questions": I have only _ever_ heard it used in as "leads us
to ask".

Of course, I do proofs for a living, and end up using phrases like
"circular reasoning" even with friends/family not from work, who may not
be entirely sure what I mean by that...

Hanne in London - intrigued