Old June 19th 06, 06:13 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass

Default Changed {was: what do you think of this advice about soldering iron tips?

In .com, on 19 Jun
2006 09:10:00 -0700, wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

Yours is in teal. njb is in red. Looks like color
to me. (If you were using a real newsreader, you could
set different colors to different nest depths as well.)

define 'real newsreader'...... as opposed to what??

A newsreader connects to a news server, which is
how all these articles are propagated. Usenet is in
no way affiliated with Google Groups, which is, most
simply, a parasitic web site that copies all the posts
from usenet and repuplishes them on the web.

Usenet is... Well, let's do this the easy way...
(obviously, make a mental substition of rec.crafts.glass
for alt.coffee)
http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...4b5137e?hl=en&

is there a choice? i joined through google groups...
was there another way to do it?

Use a news reader to connect to a news server.
USUALLY, your ISP provides a news server for you to use.
Not being able to read turkish, I don't know for certain,
but there IS a machine named news.ttnet.net.tr so I'd bet
a Chinese dinner that you can connect with that address.

As to newsreaders... You're using Firefox, so there's
no embedded news capability with that. If you were using
Mozilla, there's a built-in newsreader, albeit not
particularly user friendly in the eyes of this Unix geek.
Thunderbird is apparently the Firefox e-mail sidekick
which also has support for news, so that might be a good
bet for you... similar look and feel, I'd imagine.
http://www.mozilla.com/thunderbird/

If you'd like to try something outside the typical Windows
user's experience, something like slrn (the one I use) might
appeal to you (screenshot on my machine):
http://wizard.dyndns.org:1234/slrn.article.png
(screenshots from people with too much time on their hands):
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/pictures.html
(home):
http://slrn.sourceforge.net/
(looks like they don't have any Windows binaries though... pity)