Old September 26th 03, 07:45 PM
Belindi

Thanks all. The problem is that I know nothing about machines
generally and the sewing instructor I worked with insisted on new
machines and Bernina came highly recommended (and $1500 no wonder).
So if I tested a used machine, I'd have no idea if it was doing what
it was supposed to be doing.

I think I'm going to gamble w/ the "should be outlawed" Brother and if
it can't handle my kids hemming needs, then I'll ship it back to
Walmart. Thanks for letting me know what to watch out for.

Belindi

"Mike Behrent" wrote in message ...
Always better to get more than you think you'll need. Can save alot of money
in upgrading

"Belindi" wrote in message
om...
I've got machines narrowed down (given price and function) to these:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine, Model CS-8072 for $289

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

Brother Sewing Machine, Model XL-6562 for $198 on clearance

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

I'm looking for something for alterations, maybe kids crafts, and
don't know if I'll ever use it to sew clothes and doubt quilting is in
my future. I'm leaning towards the cheaper (XL-6562) one but Walmart
is the only distributor of the product and I can't find reviews. 4/5
reviews for the CS-8072 are favorable. It has a lot more stitches and
function, but I don't know if any are "necessary" for my life.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to email me
directly.

Thanks.

Belindi