Old March 13th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default Weird Tools we use

I'm picking up such good tips in this thread! I don't have a lot of
original additions to make, but I do use several non-quilty items to
help me quilt.

1. a telescoping magnet to pick up pins spilled on the floor. Ally and I
bought one each in Houston several years ago and discovered that they're
also perfect for dueling! LOL! DGSs like it, too, for wandering around
the house to find out what's magnetic.

2. a small metal box with 20 plastic drawers in it. Originally intended
to store nails and screws and other hardware, I use it for packages of
SM needles, buttons, empty bobbins, etc. It hangs on the pegboard out of
the way.

3. a metal tape measure -- so easy to measure quilts, borders, etc.,
with this!

4. a laser level square, as per Kathy A's recommendation -- it's perfect
for squaring up anything larger than my largest square ruler!

5. a screwdriver (multiple bits) and pliers for general "fixing". Gotta
keep these separate from DH's things, since he's not the best at putting
sfuff away. He's already appropriated my hammer.

6. empty pill bottles for used needles and bent pins. I put the lid on
in "child-proof" mode when I want to dispose of the bottle.

7. clamps to hold a tablecloth on a picnic table. My dining room table
is too thick for even the largest bulldog clamps I could find, so these
keep my layers in place when I'm pin basting.

8. drafting table with hole cut in it. G This is my sewing table! I
don't really have room for the big table I'd like to have, but I'm
eternally grateful to my friend Carl for sinking my SM into the table so
that everything is flush.

As I said, many of my tools aren't original, but they sure work for me!
--
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education