Old September 11th 03, 10:43 PM
Julia Altshuler

In the bedroom where Jim and I sleep most of the time, we sleep under
Jim's 40th birthday quilt. We weren't living together when Jim turned
40, and I hadn't been quilting that long. I started the quilt because I
was having such a time learning to use the rotary cutter. In my "lethal
weapon" class, we were supposed to practice on squares for a single
block, but I needed more practice so I made a whole quilt of squares.
Now I'd strip piece it, but this one is made of squares all individually
cut. The quilt has an autumn leaf fabric for the focus and supporting
colors of rust, burgundy, forest green, brighter green and tawny brown.
I started the quilt with no idea in mind (other than practice). Jim's
birthday rolled around, and I asked him to choose from the available
started projects.

The pull-out futon in the computer room as a bright orange star quilt.
The focus is a madras that I used for the sashing and border. The
blocks are bright in oranges, yellows, robins egg blue, melon, lime,
lavender and reds. This is a quilt that Jim says is too bright to sleep
under so it lives in the computer room where one or the other of us
sleeps when one or the other (I'm not naming names) is snoring or
farting. The dog sleeps under the bed in this room. I didn't choose
the quilt for this room except that I was cold, needed a quilt and
wanted to keep the others new so they could be gifts. This is another
early quilt. Now I see all the flaws in it. I'll have to applique over
in places where my seam allowance is so scant that the batting is
showing through.

I made them both.

--Lia