Old April 2nd 06, 05:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default OT Children in Restaurants [was Environmental...]

Of course we had place cards: I hear most of them still live on the little
girls' bedside tables: "Miss Natasha Jones" in fancy script with
flowers...we tied the hats to the back of their chairs, and tied a ribbon
and silk flowers to match as "napkin rings". They used the ribbon and
flowers to decorate their hats.

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham

"Kate Dicey" wrote in message
Roberta Zollner wrote:

Obviously nobody needs a mailed invitation to family dinner every
evening, and we mostly don't wear party clothes, and the food isn't
always fancy, but my children used the good china, set on a tablecloth,
with candles, a napkin, and cutlery/ glasses as required. And the rules
were exactly as you described every single night. Plus they were required
to sit up straight, participate in conversation, and help clear the table
afterwards. They never had any trouble with good manners in public. I
lost a plate or 2 and an occasional glass when they were very young, but
considered it a cheap tuition fee.

My mum taught me that cheap china that breaks makes a better lesson than
plastic that bounces. We now use good china and glasses all the time,
even in the garden, and have very few breakages.

I love the idea of decorating hats to match the dress!
Roberta in D

Me too! And possibly place cards or mats as well...

"KI Graham" schrieb im Newsbeitrag

Of course there are different sets of manners for different occasions:
that's part of the fun. If you know the rules, you can play the social
"game." And no one likes [or likes to be] a bad sport! I had an afternoon
"tea party" for 8 six-eight year old girls and their moms a couple of
summers ago. Formal invitations mailed to each child AND to each mom;
linen table cloths and napkins, my very best china and crystal. Party
dresses mandatory [for moms too.] Each attendee received a broad-brimmed
straw hat trimmed with ribbons to match her dress that she decorated with
matching silk flowers. We had sandwiches without the crusts, and
meringues and fruit and lemon-ginger scones with homemade lemon curd AND
we all had our very very best manners.

At the very beginning, I told all the girls the rules: try everything on
your plate and don't make comments if you don't like something; when
fingers are okay, when to use your knife and fork; remember the please
and thank you and to call people by their names....and it was "Mrs.
Graham" [not Kim] and "Miss Natasha" [not just Tasha]. Two and a half
hours on a hot sunny day on my back deck. No one broke anything, no one
complained, no one cried, no one even raised her voice!

At the end of the afternoon, each of the girls got to take her china cup
and saucer home. It was wonderful! On Sunday [when we all wore our hats
to church!], almost all the DADS came up to say "Thank you. You made my
little girl feel very special."

--
Kim Graham
http://members.shaw.ca/kigraham
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
THE WORD IN PATCHWORK

"Tia Mary" wrote in message

Roberta Zollner wrote:

I disagree that there are different sets of manners for home -start as
you mean to go on! One's family deserves polite and respectful behavior
just as much as strangers in a restaurant. And children who are polite
at home feel no stress when out in public.
Roberta in D

I didn't say that kids should be allowed to be rude or disrespectful
at home just that they don't have to be on their *best* behaviour. Even
we adults have different sets of rules and behaviours for different
social situations.
By teaching small children just exactly WHAT the different sets of
rules are, we encourage them to be critical thinkers and look at their
surroundings to determine just which set of behaviours are the most
appropriate. Even at school, kids are expected to behave differently
in the classroom, the playground and the cafeteria. There are certain
rules that DO apply in ALL situations (there is no excuse for rudeness
& disrespect) but I don't really believe that there is just one set of
general rules for ALL situations. CiaoMeow ^;;^

http://www.katedicey.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!