Old September 29th 03, 09:34 PM
Byron Kindig

I got a Brother from Walmart a couple of years ago for Christmas. It is now
worn out because the gears are plastic. My deceased mother's old machine
from 1953 (a Singer) still runs great (like a sewing machine) because it has
all metal gears. I agree with the person who recommended a used older
machine with metal gears. It will outlast any of the new machines with
plastic gears, if it is in good condition. Check E-Bay and at your local
Sewing machine repair shops.
Byron
"Belindi" wrote in message
om...
I've got machines narrowed down (given price and function) to these:

Brother Computerized Sewing Machine, Model CS-8072 for $289

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

Brother Sewing Machine, Model XL-6562 for $198 on clearance

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...3A90433%3A4770

I'm looking for something for alterations, maybe kids crafts, and
don't know if I'll ever use it to sew clothes and doubt quilting is in
my future. I'm leaning towards the cheaper (XL-6562) one but Walmart
is the only distributor of the product and I can't find reviews. 4/5
reviews for the CS-8072 are favorable. It has a lot more stitches and
function, but I don't know if any are "necessary" for my life.

If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it. Feel free to email me
directly.

Thanks.

Belindi