Old August 7th 03, 10:08 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

I would "guess", after looking at the close up, that it's higher than 40
count. You are right. I wouldn't call something like this tablecloth
"easy", but neither is it extremely difficult. Time consuming, yes.
But so are large embroidery pieces of any kind.

Thanks, Elizabeth, for that URL. What a lovely cloth.

Dianne

Dr. Brat wrote:
Russell Miller wrote:

Hi Elizabeth,

My tablecloth was very similar to the one shown on e-bay. Unfortunately
I can't scan even a small part of my tablecloth for others to see
because I rolled it up and threw it out in a major hissy fit! Boy am I
sorry now! Even the raggy bits would have given me something to go on
while searching for a new one to work on.

But see, now we know what you're looking for. The table cloth I found
on Ebay is classic drawn thread. It's made up of a complex combination
of twisted bars, thrown coral knots, and needleweaving. It looks like
it's done on rather fine cloth, but Dianne insists that such cloth is
workable, so we'll believe her.

Now you have a choice. You can look for a similar table cloth at an
antique show or on Ebay (search on "drawn thread tablecloth"), or you
can teach yourself the techniques and do one yourself. Jonalene Gutwein
and Deanna Powell have a series of samplers out that teach this work
(see wwww.friendsinneedlework.com). It is far more complex looking than
it really is. Like every other kind of needlework, drawn thread is done
one stitch at a time.

Good luck!

Elizabeth