Old December 23rd 03, 10:43 PM
Shelly

You can still get paregoric from some of the old doctors. (The "good" ones)
lol It's used sometimes for really bad cases of diarrhea. My grandmother has
told me stories of women using it on wash day to keep the babies sleeping so
the women could get the wash done. It's no wonder that they had to start
monitoring the stuff more closely.
Shelly

"Butterfly" wrote in message
'bout 27 years ago, first kidlet was teething.the HARD way. Dr says "get a
shot glass--fill it with whiskey--dip your finger in--rub it on baby's
gums--really all OVER the gums not just the sore spots. Then YOU toss off
the rest--can't let good whiskey go to waste.

But I don't drink

That much won't hurt YOU or the baby.

so I did--it didn't --and baby relaxed enuf to get to sleep.

Later that day, we went down to the Pharmacy and picked up a prescription
for paregoric......used only at the worst of times (big diff between a
grumpy baby and a screamin-meeeemmies one)

Another thing that I remember doing--clean off a cooked chicken leg
bone--FREEZE it---.let baby chew on it. Just be sure to STAY with the baby
without distraction--soon as it starts to unthaw you should throw it away.
(no, it won't give food poisioning after it had not only been cooked but
frozen as well) I have never had any disintegrate but it could always
happen.

HTH
Butterfly (do they ever let you have paregoric anymore? I don't know)

"A Joy in Hawaii" wrote in message
om...
melinda wrote in message

DS is most definetley teething, I can feel one!
But he will not sleep during the day and is very
unsettled, not crying just whingey - very whingey

HELP!

Go get a pillow. Now put your face in it. Let us scream
together....AAAAAAAAARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!

Ahhhh, doesn't that feel better? Jacob is 8 1/2 months old and has
not ONE tooth yet but seems to be teething FOREVER. So far, I have
tried Orajel with him but it just seems to irritate him to have a numb
mouth. I used Orajel with DD1 and DD2 and sometimes it worked,
sometimes it just aggravated (sp?) them more. So did the cold wet
washcloth. Tylenol drops worked great to get the edge off. They all
seem to enjoy chewing on my finger most of all. They enjoyed teething
biscuits but I don't like to clean up the mess afterwards.

I will definitely try the frozen bagel, though. Let us know what you
end up trying next.

Hang in there. Sometimes I got all three kids
crying/screaming/nagging at once and want to rip out all the hair on
my head...but it's a temporary feeling. Sometimes distracting him
(and distracting you) by going outside for a change in scenery, some
sun, and fresh air, will ease both of you.

A Joy in Hawaii

---