Old August 18th 03, 12:43 AM
Jalynne

I don't remember how I joined. Oh wait, yes I do. nzl*, who has been one of my
bestest buddies (online or not), kept telling me about the group. I tried to join a
few times, but my isp just didn't want to cooperate. It wasn't until I got a new
computer, and nzl* introduced me to you, Diana Curtis, that I really just couldn't
stay away. I finally got to be able to download and subscribe to the NG, and have
been a happy camper ever since. Flame wars notwithstanding, I find this a wonderful
place to share quilts with other people, whether it's the process of making them, or
the finish product, or all the other chatter that goes on in conjunction, just like a
quilting bee.

I had always wanted to be a quilter, just like the grandmother I had never known.
She died when she was just 21, and my dad was 6 months old, but she had created some
really lovely quilts. She left behind two tops that are to go to my dad when my step
grandmother dies, and my dad wants me to finish them for him, so that my brother and
I can each have one. I've been able to sew since I was 9, but hated it until i was
19, when i couldn't afford to buy the really nice clothes I wanted. So I sewed a lot
for a while, looking for someone who could teach me how to quilt. We attended a
Mennonite church (which we later joined) and I was able to find a group that would
teach me to quilt on charity quilts. They only hand quilted, which I'd never done
before, so I was a bit nervous, but the ladies were all quite nice. I sat down
around the frame, where we were working on a white on white baby quilt. I took up
the needle, after the group's leader showed me how to make the stitches, and I began.
I can't describe the feeling very well, but bear with me. I felt like I had come
home, like I'd been quilting all my life. I immediately felt like I belonged. To
this day, six years later, hand quilting is one of the most relaxing things I can do.
The small even stitches came naturally for me, and get even better the more I
practice.

If i could do nothing but quilt, I'd be happy. Piecing is a real pain for me,
because I like to rush to get through making the top so I can quilt it...LOL. But
i'm getting much better. I'm also learning to appreciate hand applique, ok, and
machine applique, too. I've made it a goal to challenge myself to learn a couple of
new techniques every year. That goal has been put to the side for a little while,
but next summer, I'll be ready to jump in again with both feet and quilt my fingers
off. I love the fact that there is so much to learn, and that beautiful things can
happen with little bits of fabric sewn with love, whether by hand or machine.

Probably more than you ever wanted to know...

--
Jalynne

"Diana Curtis" wrote in message
Im recovering well... certain things coming in the mail keep my spirits up,
thank you muchly! But the days linger long sometimes. I havent energy to do
much yet, but you, yes YOU, have the power to entertain and amuse me if you
feel like it, and I hope you do...
Would you please tell me how you came to post at RCTQ, and why you stay, and
how you came to be a quilter and what you hope to find in your quilting
future. Maybe everyone else will get some pleasure in reading these .. then
I wont feel so selfish! lol
Thanks in advance,
Diana the slightly bored

--