Old May 6th 04, 10:17 PM
Dianne Lewandowski

sewingsusan wrote:

I want to get a square frame, especially for some projects I have
planned using satin jean fabric (which wouldn't work in a hoop frame,
from what I have read.)

That is utter biased nonsense by whomever wrote it. I've done several
Mountmellick pieces - all in a 4-inch or 6-inch hand-held hoop. All on
cotton satin jean. Hoops do absolutely no harm to either the fabric or
the stitches. Not the satin jean from Ireland nor the satin jean sold
in America and made who knows where. I made several tray mats out of
the stuff, as well as drapes for my den. The mats with drawn thread
work . . . in case somebody decides to say you can't do drawn thread on
satin jean.

This fabric would work simply fine in your seat frame.

That doesn't mean you shouldn't purchase another type frame if that is
something you want to do. But your fabric in a hoop, whether tambour,
seat, or hand, once suitably bound and screwed tight, will hold fabric
as tight as you need it until you loosen it up. And it won't cause hoop
marks on satin jean, linen, cotton, blends. It will mark velvet, but
that can normally be steamed back in shape. I've used hoops for velvet
several times.

Not scolding *you* . . . just being emphatic about this myth that just
doesn't want to die a natural death. :-)

Dianne