Old November 12th 14, 10:24 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
NightMist

Default I need help finding out the manufacturer of my grandmotherssewing machine.

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 19:03:11 -0500, Marie wrote:

On Tue, 11 Nov 2014 19:44:01 +0000, Misty
m wrote:

Thanks for the reply. Here's pictures of front and back of the machine.
I had said I needed a foot for the machine but what I meant was the
pedal. Thanks

--

I belive that's either an old Morse or White machine, which were made in
Japan by Toyota (yep they made more than cars lol). They use

Toyota!
I read a historical article a couple of months back on mid-century Toyota
sewing machines. In a nutshell, after WWII Toyota started making knock
offs of the Singer 99 and 15. Mind you these knock offs are generally
considered to be as good or better than the original. The thing about
them is that while most of them are indeed "precision built" and "made in
Japan", almost none of them have names.

Sometimes Toyota made machines have the name Toyota molded into the metal
under the machine. It is not a sure thing, but it would be worth a look.

If that is what Misty's machine is, then it is indeed pretty much
universal. At the very least it would be completely interchangeable with
Singers of a similar age.
It certainly would explain why it looks similar to machines that usually
are labeled to within an inch of their functionality.

A Morse of that age at least generally has the name splashed all over the
machine, and often has a big red M in the middle of the dials. DD1's has
Morse engraved on the freaking bobbin carrier!
White was never shy of sticking their name all over either.

NightMist