Old August 17th 08, 09:21 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
Trish Brown

Default Yoohoo, Mommies!

Karen C in California wrote:
What are Barbie clothes going for these days?

We're trying to put a reasonable price on some for a craft fair. Don't
want to say $10 for a dress if they can buy something similar at ToysRUs
for $3, but don't want to say $3 if ToysRUs is selling them for $15.

Bwahahahahahahahaha! I can't help you, Karen, because LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!
my DD has outgrown Barbidols. Free at last, I'm free at last! ;-D

You don't say whether the clothes you want to sell are secondhand Mattel
ones or home-made ones. Genuine Mattel clothing is very expensive,
especially if it has accessories like shoes or bags. Good secondhand can
never command the same price, but even having said that, I made quite a
bit of money for school fundraising with Barbidol ballgowns made out of
bridal and formal remnants. It takes hardly any time at all to gather a
skirt and stitch it to a strapless bodice. If you can get hold of good
scraps from a seamstress (satin, silk, brocade etc), you can make really
spiffy ballgowns and little girls just *love* them. I'd charge $7 or $8
for such a thing if I were donating my time for free, $10 or $12 if you
wanted to charge for assembly time. It's worth presenting the clothes
nicely: stitch them loosely onto a bit of pink cardboard and add a tiny
artificial flower or ribbon bow.

Good luck! ;-D

Oh, PS. You can also make a *bundle* of money by picking up secondhand
Barbidols from the Op Shops. You take them home, clean them up, soak
their heads in fabric softener or conditioner for a couple of days and
style the hair. Dress them nicely and you can charge whatever you like
for them!

PPS. Despite my whinging, making Barbidol clothes is enormous fun when
you can get access to nice fabric remnants. A rctn friend sent me a
packet of great patterns about ten years ago and boy did I get some good
use out of them. Now, my friend is using them to make stuff for her DD
and has promised to pass the patterns on when she's finished with them.

PPPS. The most popular thing I ever made for Barbie was a miniature
replica of DD's school uniform. They sold like hotcakes to kids from her
school!