Old November 6th 08, 04:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.needlework
dark.angel

Default Minor Quibble Dear Red States

In article
,
wrote:

On Nov 6, 9:31*am, "dark.angel" wrote:

The bottom line is that even if they only joined for the extra $$ or
for the GI Bill (which would be silly considering how hard it is to
actually USE in many cases), they VOLUNTEERED knowing full well that so
many countries despise us that we WILL get into one fracas or another.

I don't mean to endorse anything in the post to which you were
responding here, but I do want to point out that many of those who
volunteered did so by signing up for the National Guard, which is
traditionally not deployed outside of the US.

True. Not traditionally.

(And I did not post what I did hoping for any endorsement whatsoever!)

But regardless of what tradition allows, it's always a distinct
possibility. My DH was in the Army NG for YEARS and they were not only
deployed to Iraq, but also Kuwait during Desert Storm.

Regardless, they signed on the dotted line knowing that they can be
"called up" for action -- whether it's guarding the local armory or
fighting abroad.

Elizabeth

--
dark.angel