Old September 16th 06, 11:06 PM posted to rec.crafts.jewelry
Carl 1 Lucky Texan

Default How Fast Should A Trim Saw Run?

Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Hi,

I have an used Rock Rascal that I wish to use to section rocks and
minerals.

It does not currently have a motor.

From reading supply websites, it would seem that a 1/3 hp 1725 motor is

sold for it.

Is there any advantage to using a more powerful or faster motor?

Is there any advantage of using a variable speed motor?

Thanks for any advice you might have to offer.

TMT

I think a blade manufacturer (like Daniel Lopacki or Diamond Pacific)
will have some reommended speed tables for the various sizes. In order
to keep the surface feet per minute up - generally smaller tools must
run at higher rpms. It also depends on the material you're cutting,
whether you're using oil, wtaer with soluble lube, or propylene glycol
coolants, etc.

Carl

--
to reply, change ( .not) to ( .net)