Old August 5th 03, 07:26 PM
roo

I always encourage people to put knots to the test themselves if they
have the time and inclination. It gives people a feel for how knots
behave, and they might discover something (good or bad) that they can
pass along.

Go ahead and subject a loop made from a Midspan Sheet Bend to a heavy
load in various configurations. Put heavy loads on it with smaller
rope so that you can see what happens under high strain. It should
hold its form fine. Security in slippery rope under repeated cyclical
jerking or wiggling would be a separate issue of interest that doesn't
quite apply to what you're doing unless your line becomes a little
slack as you travel down the highway.

Cheers,
roo

"Larry Travis" wrote in message ...
Ahhh, the midspan sheet bend - I had forgotten that! I would have thought
there would be concern on whether a variant of a sheet bend as an anchor
would be reliable when subjected to the extreme tension generated by a
versatackcle. However, I defer to your wisdom and experience: if you have
confidence in it then I am certain it will work for me as well. Thanks for
the advice.