Old July 29th 05, 12:25 PM
Bonnie NJ

That sounds like me. My MIL died before I got to know her. It was always
your Mother or no name mentioned. I married DH after knowing him only 6
weeks and then he joined the Army after 3 months of marriage. We moved to
Alabama and then Panama. When we were in Panama my MIL died. We just
celebrated our 40th anniversary and I'm a MIL (3 times for one son). I've
always told my DILs to call me whatever they was comfortable for them..

--
Bonnie
NJ
"LN (remove NOSPAM)" wrote in message
newsVeGe.13499$x32.9705@trndny09...
I never called my MIL anything when talking to her. Calling her Mrs. XXX
seemed to formal and I didn't feel close enough to her to call her Mom and
calling her by her first name didn't seem right. I'm not one to say,
"'name', where is...." If someone is in the room and you are talking to
them, why bother using the name? When talking about her, I'd say, "Your
mother...." Or I'd say Emmy when telling my mom something about her. Now
it doesn't matter at all.

--
LN in NH (Who has been beading more than quilting in the last 2 years)

"Sharon Harper" wrote in message
u...
LOL - I always felt uncomfortable calling DH's mum by her first or Mrs
Lastname. When we'd been together for awhile it seemed easier to call
her
mum and her dh dad. One day it just slipped out and it's been like that
ever since. Except for when we call them nan and pops (which is what the
DDs call them).

quicker)

"Mika" wrote in message
"A&T" wrote in message
nk.net...

I try always to call people Mr. or Mrs. until given permission to do

other
wise. I also listen carefully so I know if a person is a Diane or a
Diana.
Or Marie or Maria.

This reminds me of the first time I met my mother-in-law before DH and I

got
married. DH and I were both in our mid 30's so it's not like we were
young
ignorant punks who weren't taught to respect our elders. Anyway, she
very
bruskly informed me that I could either call her Mom or Mrs. LASTNAME
but
she had not given me permission to call her by her first name therefore

she
expected me to NOT call her by her first name. That was almost 15 years

ago
and to this day I have never called her by her first name. It has always
been Mom. If she is comfortable with me calling her Mom then I don't
have

problem with it.

Mika