Old September 11th 08, 10:50 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Taria

Default Do you ECHO Echo echoooooooo ?

I just looked up echo quilting in Diane Gaudinsky's Guide to Machine
Quilting book. She uses free motion presser foot and uses the edges
of the foot to sort of gauge spacing. Keep your eyes on the previous
line of stitching not the needle.

Harriet Hargrave says you can lightly mark the echo lines when you are
learning just to get the feel of it. She does the first quilting line
in a ditch around the edges of your design. SO I guess she really does
an outline of the appliqué right up against but not on it. She says
keep your eye on the needle for this. Next row use the edge of your
free motion foot for a gauge and work clockwise.

I think I just usually try to get up against the appliqué or within
1/8" or so and free motion slowly to get started. I think you just
need to start experimenting. I am trying to see in my mind happy
hooting out of those preemie babies. : )

If Leslie is reading, have you tried the new fancy free motion foot
for the 6600? I am thinking about getting one. This machine and
I need to learn to get along. LOL

TAria

Polly Esther wrote:

A machine quilting question. Tell us how you echo. I 've tried (or seen)
echoing just as close as you can manage to get with the SM foot. I've tried
moving out 1/8" or 1/4" in a sort of shadow effect. I've tried barely
following the edge of the vine or appliqué with just a loopy stipple.
What technique do you use? Why? Easier, looks better, what? Just
wondering. I don't think the preemie babies I stitch for will give a happy
hoot but I always, always would like to do better. Polly