Old March 31st 04, 04:42 AM
Kay Lancaster

On Tue, 30 Mar 2004 20:05:47 GMT, Ann Pillman wrote:
I just acquired a serger... and I'm not sure how to get the correct seam

Oh good! Playtime! New sergers are always fun.

A couple of things to try, if your serger tends to obscure the 5/8" mark --

1) Make a little cardboard flap with a pointer, and tape it to your machine
above the bed, where the pointer can come down at 5/8", right next to the
knives. After a bit, you probably won't need the pointer.

2) Consider reducing your seam allowance to 3/8" and learn to watch
the width being trimmed. With a little practice, I think you'll find
it easy to "eyeball" trimming off the exact amount you need to. (narrow
trimmings are easier to gauge than wider ones, and this also gets you
used to watching the knife area as well as the needles.) Bonus: 3/8"
seam allowances can save considerable fabric in layouts sometimes.