Old January 8th 05, 03:25 PM
Barbara Hass

More info:

http://www.ssa.gov/qa.htm

In summary, I was incorrect in that I might receive *something* by the
time I retire. However, current retirees/near-retirees are receiving
benefits at the same rate/increase with inflation, with no current plans
to decrease benefits for those people. (Which would be a bad move from
a political standpoint - this is a huge % of voters). Yet by the time I
retire, my benefits will start out reduced minimum 27% of current
benefits and decreasing, if there are no changes to the program. Which
I am projecting will probably translate to very little money, definitely
nothing near what will be required for retirement. According to the
last question, other countries are prefunding and establishing versions
of personal accounts in order to ensure future benefits.

I guess no matter what investing money is risky. Something could always
happen to shake up the economy, change interest rates, whatever that
would affect any investment, whether SS fund or private. But I'd like
the option of something a little better, like a mutual fund, than a
retirement plan that's a guaranteed (at this time) to lose money.

Barbara