Old July 18th 03, 03:50 AM
Clarke Echols

Weller irons are guaranteed for at least 90 days, if not a full year.
Contact them by phone (800 numbers at
http://www.cooperhandtools.com/custo...ress/index.htm )
or by email and explain the situation.

Email at: http://www.cooperhandtools.com/custo...mail/index.cfm

Weller irons have been used for decades in the electronics industry. I
have a temperature-controlled iron that is over 30 years old.

Clarke

Moonraker wrote:

For years now, I've only used the Weller 100w Pro iron with the Temp
controlled tips. Yesterday, while working, one of the Wellers let out a
huge spark and fireball while sitting in the iron holder. After letting it
cool off, I found some small pin-holes in the big part of the barrel where
the heater is. Apparently, the heater shorted out and blasted it's way
through the outer skin of the barrel and tried to go to ground through the
stand.

This is the 3rd Weller I have had to go bad in the last year and a
half...and not from abuse.

The Wellers aren't 3-wire (meaning that they aren't earth grounded through
the shop wiring).

I'm getting tired of paying $50 to $75 for these irons when they only last
5-6 months....and now I'm concerned about the electrical safety of them.

The one reason I went with the Weller is the self temperature control
feature. My workbench is crowded enough without having a seperate
temperature controller and it's attendent wires in the way. I really don't
want to have to go that way if I can help it.

Suggestions, please, on a brand of irons that will handle daily
professional use.