Old July 17th 03, 03:00 AM
Howard

ah, yes the soldering iron conundrum...........

I use the 1140A (used to be unger) and now weller...have tried many(although
not of late) and after ONLY ABOUT 23 years of shade making, still like them
the best!

1,000 degrees at the tip regular
1,100 degrees at the tip high performance also available

get the heater and tip that is one piece......NOT THE SCREW ON TIP!!!!!!!!!

they are 45 and 50 watts respectively

and yes Martha, YOU CAN SOLDER WITH A 45 watt iron!

If you are doing a came....you may/will have to turn it down...........
If you are soldering HEAVY BRASS LAMP STUFF will not be enough staying power
heat for that..I use a propane torch to heat the brass lamp hardware and
then it flows real well with the 1140A

In the words of the IMMORTAL USED CAR DEALER:
THERE IS AN ASS FOR EVERY SEAT!