Old February 26th 07, 05:53 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Kathy Applebaum

Default Still OT Words was OT:Bad English teachers

Apparently, I'm avoiding work today. *grin*

http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?...earchmode=none has the
origin of cynic, and it is related to dogs.
Comes from the Greek "kynikos", meaning dog-like.

--
Kathy A. (Woodland, CA)
Queen of Fabric Tramps

http://fabrictramp.typepad.com/fabric_tramping/
remove the obvious to reply

"Pat in Virginia" wrote in message
Did you happen to notice this one on the same list?
cynophobe : The dog-fearer or hater, and not just the mailman and

milkman.

If you come across an explanation or connection to cynic, please do tell
us!

Ta, PAT

CATS wrote:

That's right! Well done pig!! After posting I decided I was just being
lazy by not looking myself. I stumbled across this -
http://f2.org/humour/language/oddwords.html - and lost an hour reading
and chuckling to myself!

I will probably not get another thing done all afternoon, but who cares!?
I am now on a quest to find out where the word derived from and if there
is a link to the modern word "cynic". From there who know what I will
link to? I don't often "surf" just for the fun of seeing where I end up,
but I am in the mood today.