Old July 5th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
MaleQuilter

Default How do I keep my quilt square

On Jul 5, Kate in MI said, "How do you add borders? Chop off a
piece... sew it on... then trim to fit?
Sure hope NOT! "

I sounds worse when you say it that way. (LOL)

I thought that if I cut my borders "over length" that I would have
extra in case sewing it on changed its length. I was careful to make
sure that opposite sides of the quilt center were the same length
before I started, and tried to sew the binding on with about the same
level of tension (making sure I did not stretch the fabric as I sewed
the binding on).

It sounds like that was all wrong.

Are you saying that I should cut the binding the average length based
on three or four measurements, match the ends of the binding to each
end of the quilt side, and then stretch or ease the quilt center or
binding evenly over the distance between the matching ends?

I know that was a long question. It's amazing the number of things
you do not know when you are a real beginner.

Jerry in North Alabama
http://community.webshots.com/user/MaleQuilter