Old August 2nd 03, 04:50 AM
Jewitch

On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 23:37:32 GMT, "Tante Lina"
wrote:

I realize that, especially to web designers, it seems wrong that layouts and
design can't be copyrighted, but it's really common sense.

I was doing websites years ago -- before there were graphics on the
web -- and to me is common sense. The code is copyrightable if you are
actually creating something (shopping cart, photo album) with the code
but the way it shows up on the screen isn't. This makes perfect sense
to geeks (ummm, that would be me) because HTML has a few built-in and
purposeful limitations -- it was designed to share content not to
present it. Have you ever noticed how a web site may look different
from one computer to the next? Sometimes only slightly, but sometimes
significantly? How can you copyright an unstable product?

HTML is actually a mark-up language, much like what goes when you
format a letter. The contents of the letter are copyrightable; the
layout of the letter is not.

I have beat this dead horse enough!

I still don't understand why typefaces can't be copyrighted. I also don't
understand how the ITC can sell you a license to use a typeface that can't
be copyrighted.

Hear! Hear! I've never understood that either. What is produced at the
end of the creation process? It's certainly not an idea, a user
interface or a game play!

Jewitch