Old January 7th 04, 05:07 PM
Ericka Kammerer

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

First, Happy Birthday! and what a lovely friend you
have, there.

So -- this is all going somewhere -- honest :-)). DH and I were over at her
house for a birthday treat and to get my present. I open up this gift and it's
a new type of hooked rug. You cut strips of fabric and hook them onto the rug
backing with a special crochet type hook that has a large eye on the opposite
end. First you thread some cording through the eye and then tie it to the
corner of the backing. Then you use the crochet hook to bring loops of fabric
to the top of the backing and you keep the loops on the shaft of the hook.
Once you get about half dozen of the loops on the hook, you draw the hook all
the way through pulling that cord through the loops. The cord is what keeps
the loops on the top of the rug.

Hmmm...why the cord? I can understand the concept
that it keeps the loops from pulling out, but people have
made hooked rugs like this without cord for, what?, centuries?
I've never heard of them having a problem pulling out.
Sounds interesting, though.

Best wishes,
Ericka