Old December 20th 03, 04:20 PM
Noreen's Knit*che

On Sat, 20 Dec 2003 16:04:58 GMT, Bibe wrote:

I've recently taken up knitting again after a few year break, and was
perhpas thinking of spinning my own yarn, but I have never done this
before, and frankly, I don't really know much about spinning.

Would anyone know of a great website or book that could teach me more
about this? While I have found some websites that were helpful, I am
still clueless.

Can I spin by hand? I don't want to be fully commited and spend lots of
money of equipment like a wheel, I just want to try it out. Also, this
may sound stupid, but what kind of materials would you spin? I don't
have a sheep in my backyard that I can go get wool from LOL. Can I
buy wool that is meant for spinning? I have heard of less conventional
materials such as dog hair for instance. This site for example,
http://www.mdnpd.com/pd/, talked about that and had tutorials about
spinning.

Thanks for any help.

Bibe, you've come to the right place!
I'm a newbie spinner myself, and first, there are NO dumb questions.
YES, you can get fleece, rovings, rollags and slivers of wool and other
spinnable material at lots of places!
Since I'm a newbie, I'm going to let some of the more experienced spinners
jjump in here and really give you the 'dirt'.... ITMT (in the meantime) I'd
suggest you get yourself a copy of
Spin-Off magazine (published by Interweave Press) and really look at all
THEIR sources for all your spinning needs.
I have 4 really good books on spinning, and will gladly list them and their
ISBN #'s if someone else doesn't.
Hugs,
Noreen

--