Old August 20th 04, 07:32 AM
C. Gates

Charlie wrote:
I was trying to solder some silver (1mm I think) wire to itself in a simple
filigree type thing using hard solder. I followed all the instructions in
my book yet the wire melted before the solder. I'm using a small butane
hand torch, would that make a difference? If so, I'm going to have to give
up my new hobby!

Charlie.

Don't quit on a new hobby so soon!

First, make sure you are working in fairly subdued light. If you see a
section of the wire turn red, watch out. Back off on the heat.
Apparently what's happening is that the solder is small and does not
conduct heat away like the wire does. So it gets hotter than the wire --
no builtin radiator. That's why you have to weave the flame over the
entire piece, not just one spot.

Second, try using medium solder. See if that's easier.

You can probably still use butane/propane, but use a large tip, so the
whole piece gets heated. You know like large enough to solder half inch
copper tubing. And hold it further away.

Go for it!