Old July 2nd 03, 01:01 PM
Melinda

Hi Tink,
Baileys has some good info on luster firing
http://www.baileypottery.com/glazes/...overglazes.htm

They even have a gold for glass that has a lower firing temp then
gold for ceramics. Cheryl's right, ventilation is the key!
I am itching to do another gold firing. I usually fire my lusters in
my large kiln but last time I tried it in my tiny test kiln. It had
been a while since I had done one of these firings and I think I had
forgot about leaving the lid propped until the cone fell (I think I
closed the lid when I turned the kiln on high) and I am not happy with
the results at all. The pieces seem almost fumed with a ... I don't
really know how to describe it... an almost reflective sheen? It's
hard to see that the glaze underneath is brown and it's hard to
discern the copper and gold 'Halo', that I used , from the rest of the
surface. 'Experimenting' is another key.... that's your middle name,
right? : )

TTYL,
Melinda W

http://www.justbeads.com/search/ql.cfm?s=707346344