Old May 1st 04, 02:01 PM
Diana Curtis

Some general Internet abbreviations:
AFAIK = As Far As I Know
BEG = Big Evil Grin :-}
BTDT = Been There, Done That
BTW = By The Way
FAQ = Frequently Asked Questions
FWIW = For What It's Worth
FYI = For Your Information
G = grin :-)
GMTA = Great Minds Think Alike
HTH = Hope This Helps
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
IMHO = In My Humble/Honest Opinion
IMO = In My Opinion
IMX = In My eXperience
IOW = In Other Words
ISP = Internet Service Provider
KISS = Keep It Simple Sweetie (although I've heard different esses)
LOL = Laughing Out Loud :-D
NAYY = Not Affiliated, Yadda Yadda...
NG = NewsGroup
OTOH = On The Other Hand
PIP = Peeing In Pants
RFI = Request For Information
ROFL = Rolling On Floor, Laughing
ROFLMAO = Rolling on Floor, Laughing My Asterisks Off
TIA = Thanks In Advance
TTFN = Ta Ta For Now
TTYL = Talk To You Later
VBG = Very Big Grin :-)
VBEG = Very Big Evil Grin :-}
WRT = With Regard To
Y2K = Year 2000 (2K in computer-speak)
YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary

emoticons: combinations of punctuation marks (and occasional capital
letters), that, when viewed sideways, make little smiley, frowny, winking,
disgusted (and so on) faces.
other abbreviations found in this group:
BEX = Book Enhancement eXperience (variation on S.E.X.)
BF = Boy Friend
BFPH = Big Fat Poopy Head (because this is a G-rated newsgroup)
BOM = Block Of the Month
BQ = Baby Quilt (crib-sized or going to a baby)
CMQ = Commercially Machine Quilted
COC = Cream on Cream (Fabric print)
CQ = Crazy Quilt (quilting pattern/technique)
CW = Cathedral Window (pattern)
D-rivatives: DH-DD-DS-DW = (Dear/Darling/Darn/D**n)
Husband-Daughter-Son-Wife
DIL = Daughter In Law
DWR = Double Wedding Ring (pattern)
EPP = English Paper Piecing (piecing technique)

FART=Fabric acquisition road trip, needs no further explanation
FIFI = Find It, Finish It
FPP = Foundation Paper Piecing (piecing technique, sometimes called PFP)
FQ = Fat Quarter (1/4 yd of fabric, cut 18" X 22")
FS = For Sale (more appropriate in rec.crafts.marketplace)
FW = Feather Weight (model of Singer sewing machine)
GFG = Grandmother's Flower Garden (pattern)
HMQ = Home Machine Quilted
HST = Half-Square Triangle
ISO = In Search Of
LQS = Local Quilt Store/Shop
LTP = Long Term Project
MA = Machine Appliqué
MEQ = Mind's Eye Quilt (existing only in one's imagination, so far)
MFP = Mini Foundation Pattern
MIL = Mother In Law
MLB = Major League Baseball (a yearly fabric swap)
MPP = Machine Paper Piecing (piecing technique)
MQ = Millennium Quilt
MSM = My Sainted Mother
NQ/NQR = Non-Quilting / Not Quilting Related
OT = Off Topic
PIMP = Peeing In My Pants! (Warning to read the following message at your
own risk)

PIGS=Projects in grocery sacks. If you have purchased fabric and a pattern
for a particular project and it is still in the bag, it is considered a
PIGS.
PITA = Pain In The Asterisks
PP = Paper Piecing (sub-categories: PFP = Paper Foundation Piecing; PPP =
Precision Paper Piecing)
QI = Quilt Inspector (4-legged kind)
QIAD = "Quilt In A Day" (TV show and technique by Eleanor Burns)
QIP = Quilt In Progress
QNM = "Quilters' Newsletter Magazine" (Lehman Publishing)
QOOT = Queen Of Off Topics (Sarah)
QP = Quilt Police (no such thing)
RCTQ = rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
RR = Round Robin (block exchange)
SA = Seam Allowance
SABLE = Stash Acquisition Beyond Life Expectancy
SEX = Stash Enhancement eXperience
SIL = Son In Law
SITD = Stitch In The Ditch (quilting technique)
SM = Sewing Machine
SNS = Stack 'N' Stash (pattern/cutting technique)
SNW = Stack 'N' Whack (pattern/cutting technique/book)
SO = Significant Other
SSS = Secret Sewing Sister
TATW = Trip Around The World (pattern)
TOL = Top Of the Line
TSWLTH = The Store We Love To Hate ("JoAnn's Fabrics")
TTYL = Talk To You Later
UFO = UnFinished Object
USO = UnStarted Object
VSC = Vertical Surface Cover (for those who just can't bring themselves to
say "wallhanging")
W&N = Warm & Natural (a brand of quilt batt)
WIP = Work In Progress
WOF = Width Of Fabric
WOW = White On White (fabric print)
WUH = not an abbreviation, just a cyber-stutter for those who have trouble
saying "wuh- wuh- wallhanging!" (see VSC)
WS = Wrong Side (of fabric)
WTB = Want To Buy (more appropriate in rec.crafts.marketplace)
WHIM = Work Hidden In Mind
TANQP = There Are (Ain't) No Quilt Police