Old April 22nd 05, 09:26 AM
Kate Dicey

She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Kate
Dicey of Customer of PlusNet plc (http://www.plus.net) uttered

Evil stuff! OK if you don't have to sew seams on the straight grain,
but nasty whatever way you look at it! Mind you, it can look
fantastic under stage lights!

It is never ok under any circumstances

Tiz iffn it's only £3.50 a metre and you need what feels like 100 miles
of it for a school production...

and only looks good at a very great distance

Or under school stage lights, which are hardly world beating...

and it looks so *naff*

Yeah, but for some things naff is what you need!

I used it for a 1931 Vogue pattern as a dress for Tallulah in Bugsy
Malone, and it looked and behaved really well (and that dress had a LOT
of hand finishing! I was mad... ) And the one on my web site for the
Hotel California adventure was the same stuff, and by then I had the big
serger, and the fabric behaved impeccably throughout both construction
and the show. And it washed and tumble dried fantastically without
needing ironing! Poshest frock in the show, and it took half the time
to make of some of the other stuff!

OK, so they would all have looked much better in silk, but when you have
a budget of £10 per head and it may only get a week's wearing, £3.50
poly satin backed crepe/crepe backed satin begins to look very nice indeed.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!