Old April 22nd 05, 09:57 PM
Elizabeth Young

alpha bravo charlie delta echo ...
able baker charlie dog easy ...
ace beer charlie don edward ...
There are many variations on these alphabets - historical and current
Originally a way to communicate letters without (much) error via radio.
Every time I spell my email address out I just say "fenris, that's f as
in frank, e, n as in nancy, r, s as in sam" saves hassle.
I used to take phone orders and often older customers would spell their
name and so on in that alphabet right off the bat. Confused the heck out
of me the first time, but it is so useful.
same kind of deal saying fife for 5 and niner for 9

liz young, font of useless info

Elizabeth M. Phillips wrote:
What is all this alpha dot hotel, etc. stuff? I see it else where and
cannot figure it out. Must be a code obviously.

For airplanes in the States, it used to be: able baker charlie, etc.

Just wondering.

Betsy

Just reply here, if you're interested.

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005, She who would like to be obeyed once every Preston Guild wrote:

In article , Cynthia Spilsted of uttered

Lots of shot taffeta around here, far less bridal satin or satin crepe
and absolutely no lace fabric this year!

I dream of the day that polyester crepe-backed satin disappears off the
face of the planet...
--

AJH
alpha dot hotel echo yankee whisky oscar oscar delta at tango echo