Old November 11th 05, 04:50 PM
Sandy Foster

Default what is the deal with thimbles?

In article ,
Marcella Peek wrote:

In article . net,
"Bonnie NJ" wrote:

Hi,

It may be that my fingers are misshappen. The thimbles that fit my
fingertips leave very sore spots on my first knuckle and prevents only
allows me to sew for short periods of time. I'm looking for a thimble that
will allow me to sew longer with no discomfort.

Me too! The Dritz or other standard thimbles at Joanns, Walmart and the
like are angled. Narrower at the top than the opening. My fingers are
the straight and not wider at the first knuckle. I use one of those
standard thimbles and they tip and leave a painful groove. Not an
enjoyable experience.

I tried a lot of thimbles before I found one I love. But, I kept all
the rejects and take them to my hand quilting classes. People can
sample different thimbles all day long until they find something that
works for them.

marcella

I'll add my name to the list of the "squarish" fingers, rather than the
tapered ones. I really wanted to be able to use one of the pretty
thimbles that have a little cutout for the fingernail (my nails grow
fast, and I don't always want to have to take time to file them before
quilting), but I push the needle with the pad of my finger rather than
the top. That means that thimbles gradually turn around on my finger as
I go. My "holy grail" has turned out to be a tailor's thimble (no top at
all), and it works perfectly for me.
Sandy in Henderson, near Las Vegas
http://home.earthlink.net/~sfoster1

AKA Dame Sandy, Minister of Education