Old December 6th 10, 01:02 AM
abycats abycats is offline
Junior Member

Norwood was a company that specialized in making very fine,, sturdy looms. For a short period ending somewhere in the late 70s or early 80s, Norwood also made heirloom quality quilting frames. One type was made of oak with canvas flaps along the side and were totally adjustable in length or width. The wood pieces were beautifully finished and probably four times the circumference of the ones you usually find.

Norwood also made a 24" circular hoop made of cherry that had a cross piece attached to a central gimbel that allowed full angles of rotation from vertical to horizontal and beyond from every angle. The hoop was formed to shape with steam from high quality wood. Both the inner and outer hoops are 3/8" wide and each band is about 1-5/8" deep. The stand itself may have been oak. I'm not sure if they also made either a larger or smaller size hoop.

Again, these were heirloom quality and equivalent to furniture in terms of beauty and sturdiness. The concept of a splinter was simply not part of their manufacturing process. You can still find some of their looms second-hand at sites such as http://www.homesteadweaver.com/usedequipment.htm I believe they went out of business because the market couldn't support the prices they had to charge to make money with the quality of materials and workmanship.

The sad thing is that I have one of their circular hoops on its stand. (I did also have the adjustable frames but they're long gone.) I did make one hand-quilted full-size quilt on it and loved using the hoop to do so. The hoop and its stand still look gorgeous 30 years after purchase but my eyes and hands no longer work well enough together for me to use it further. I found your post in the process of investigating how to sell it.

To your specific question (if it's still relevant), you have a find on your hands and should not underprice it. It's both useful and beautiful and will last for generations. The price she paid was not out of line. Perhaps put it up for raffle?

abycats
Manhattan, NYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauline[_3_] View Post
Is anyone familiar with the Norwood Hand Quilting Frame. I know we don't have a lot of hand quilters around ... She told me it is made out of oak & she paid about $300 for it 10 years ago. It's in mint condition & we don't want to give it away, nor do we want to ask too
much money for it. Thanks for any information that you can give me.

Pauline
Northern California

Last edited by abycats : December 6th 10 at 01:13 AM. Reason: left out data