Old June 11th 10, 02:06 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
Pauline[_3_]

Default Hand Quilting Frame

Thanks a bunch Sandy! Yes, I feel comfortable with a starting bid/price of
$50.00. If it doesn't sell, we'll slash the price 50% during the last hour
of the sale.

Fabric Follies & More is a fundraiser for us. We did this about 5 years ago
& raised about $5,000.00, so we're going to give it a go again. Since this
is a fundraiser (in a non-quilt show year), we are asking the members to
donate all those fabrics, patterns, books, magazines, notions, quilt tops &
UFO's they no longer need or want, for us to sell. We accept pretty much
anything that is craft related, so we have received LOTS of yarn & lots of
cross-stitch patterns & supplies as well. We also have received some
non-quilting fabric, which we price at $1 & if we don't sell it, it goes to
the thrift store. We have received a couple of "higher priced" items, such
as the quilting hoop, an Alto Quilt-Cutter, (retails for about $200),
various quilt tops & some other kind of a quilting frame that I don't even
know how to research. The higher priced items we are putting in a silent
auction & they will be available to view at our website & we'll have a
running slide show of those items at our June meeting. The sale is in July.
I'm co-chairing this event & so I'm seeing most everything that has been
donated. Some great stuff - some not so great stuff. If it's really,
really bad, we are either trashing it (seriously flawed fabric, etc.) or
taking it to a thrift store (out of the area, so as not to offend anyone).
We want to put on a good show & not sell anything that is junky, cause we
want people to have a good shopping experience & come back the next time we
do this. So far, the most bizarre donation we have received is a light
fixture!!!! That isn't going to make it into the sale - it's already made
it's way to the thrift shop.

We are sending flyers to other local guilds, we will post an ad on Craig's
List & put an ad in the Penny Saver. This is my first time co-chairing the
event, so learning lots as we go along. We price LQS quality fabric at
$4/yd & other cottons at $2/yd. We are also going to have grab bags with a
$1 off coupon for a local quilt shop, plus a notion or fat 8th or pattern.
We sell these for $1. We want to partner with the LQS, as well, so we can
help to promote their business as well.

We did do a "member's garage sale" a couple of years ago. Unfortunately,
when we planned it, we did not expect to have the response from the members
that we did. I think we did it in April & we ended up overflowing to the
patio area. Even with renting construction lighting, the lighting was poor
& the members did not have a great experience with it. I tried to promote
that this year, but didn't get enough interest. I was going to rent a
larger facility & do it on a weekend, to take advantage of the daylight.

Let me know if I can give you anymore details!

Pauline
Northern California

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

Oops, beg pardon.
I meant I prefer to quilt in a hoop, not on a frame.

Yeah, I think Julia showed us what you're talking about,
a hoop on a floor stand.
http://www.planetpatchwork.com/ek-pp.htm

They can be kinda' pricey, new:
http://www.hinterberg.com/cat-Floor_Hoops-20.aspx

or not:
http://tinyurl.com/2dmdf9q

And just to throw this in (mercy!),
a small frame:
http://secure.cartsvr.net/catalogs/c...showprevnext=1

Even at 10 yrs old, in mint condition & made of oak, your price of $50/OBO
is a good starting point. You can always lower the price, but don't have
to give it away.

Again, good luck, Pauline!
Your Fabric Follies & More sounds like fun! I'd enjoy some details.
Our guild does a "garage sale" in June, those who wish may rent a table
for a small fee and sell whatever they please (mostly quilt stuff,
sometimes jewelry or candles, other crafts, no food); this is combined
w/ a potluck dinner & door prizes. Mild fun. ;-)

R/Sandy- just plugging away w/ my 12" round wooden hoop

On 6/8/10 7:18 PM, in article ,
"Pauline" wrote:

Well, maybe that's my problem - this is a hoop, on a stand. Sandy - can
you
give me a more accurate description of what that is called, so I can do
more
research on it? It is beautiful & we were thinking of putting a $50
price
on it, but maybe that's too high - maybe it's too low!!

"Sandy E" wrote in message
Howdy!

Y'all keep saying "there aren't that many hand quilters out there".
Yeah, only about 5 or 6 million, maybe a few more. g

Hand quilting frame: no, thanks.
Hoop, yes.
Price for the frame: whatever anyone offers to take it off your hands.

R/Sandy - handquilter