Old August 5th 03, 10:12 AM
Kate Dicey

Tia Mary-remove nekoluvr to reply wrote:

Hi Guys,
DH & I just returned from visiting his Mom in northern MN. She has an
inoperable brain tumor and is in a nursing homme -- likely to be there until
she crossed the Rainbow Bridge. For Christmas last year, I made her a large
lap quilt out of the "Old Country Roses" print fabric collection from Keepsake
Quilting (I think). The china design is my DMIL's favourite so I knew she
would love the quilt.
Needless to say, she can't have the quilt in the nursing home. She wouldn't
remember who it came from AND it would likely disappear within a few days. I
have brought it home with me and am now wondering what to do with it.
Personally, I don't particularly care for the fabric -- pink roses aren't my
thing -- so I won't really use it. It was a real joy for me top make tho' as I
*knew* my DMIL would cherish it so I don't want to just give it to anyone.
A friend suggested that I keep it and give it to my DGD when she is old
enough to actually need it. She's only 12 weeks old and already has a quilt
from me and another 6 or 7 blankets -- LOL! Obviously, she doesn't need a
grownup sized lap quilt just yet.
I can always store the quilt properly but I don't really want to just put it
in a cupboard to be forgotten and not enjoyed. Problem is, the thing doesn't
really look good anywhere in my house and *that* is frustrating! My decor is
all purples and greens and this majorly **PINK** quilt looks really odd and out
of place. I want to keep it out because it reminds me of my DMIL -- before she
got sick -- every time I look at it.
I have a two storey home with a front stair and a landing at the top. that
faces the front door but also faces sideways to the stairs. Right now, I plan
to just drape the quilt over the stairail on the sideso that it's not obvious
from the front door. I will see it every day and remember the good times with
Ma. I wondered if anyone has any other suggestions for use or display of this
quilt? I don't want to actually use it as a lap quilt -- want to keep it in
fairly new condition for giving to the DGD a few years down the road. CiaoMeow
^;;^

PAX, Tia Mary ^;;^
Angels can't show their wings on earth but nothing was ever said about their
WHISKERS!!
Nothing is complete without a few cat hairs!

Oh, that's hard on you all. Have a sympathetic ((((((HUG)))))).

I think saving the quilt for the granddaughter is an excellent idea, but
I can't offer any help for the storage or display in the meantime.
--
Kate XXXXXX
http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk