Old January 16th 04, 06:24 AM
Kalera Stratton

Steve Richardson wrote:

In St Louis there doesn't seem to be "salvage" for sale, not like other
places. I've been in one shop, years ago, with unbelievably high prices for
very plain stuff, but that's the only place I've ever found. A neighbor of
mine runs an upscale boutique specializing in decorating stuff, and her yard
and house are filled with salvage -- mostly trucked in from Chicago due to
the local lack. At least that's what I hear.

- Steve R
St Louis

LOL! The reason for that is probably that we send a truck out twice a
year and buy all the salvage we can get our hands on... I suspect that
the salvage market may be dry there because all the salvagers sell to
out-of-staters. I hate to tell you, and sometimes it makes me sad to see
so much beautiful architectural salvage displaced in a sort of salvage
diaspora, but my store (I keep saying that even though I quit three
months ago... but I have deep ties to it that I can't quite shake)
considers St. Louis, along with several other cities, to be absolute
goldmines of salvage.

-Kalera