Old February 21st 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting

Default NightMist?/OT - cold weather food and beverage questions

This is Welsh Rarebit recipe circa 1935 from a wonderful book called
'Miss Tuxfords Cookery for the Middle Classes'!

Toast a round of bread and butter it.
Melt 2 oz grated.cheddar cheese with 2 tablespoons of milk and 1/2
teasp of English mustard powder (or I suppose 1/4 teasp of ready made
English Mustard) pepper and salt.

Then spread on the toast and put back under the grill to brown a
little.

It adds that, if liked, you can thicken it with 1 teasp. of cornflour
broken in a little water.

Miss Tuxford also includes instructions for using one of the new gas
cookers, and says that if your heat your iron for ironing clothes on
the gas stove, it is much cleaner than using an ordinary fire.

Another cheesy recipe from there which is very good is Cheese Pudding.

2oz breadcrumbs, 1/2pint milk, 1/2oz butter, 3 oz. grated cheddar
cheese, 2 eggs, pepper and salt.

Put breadcrumbs and butter into a bowl; boil the milk, pour over and
leave to cool. Add the cheese, pepper and salt, and the yolks of the
eggs. Whip the egg whites stiffly and add lightly to the mixture. Pour
into a pie dish (I use a souffle dish with deep sides) and bake for 15
to 20 minutes. She doesn't give oven temperature, but I do it at about
the same temperature as a cake.

Very moreish, cheap and full of protein. My mother always served it
hot - like a cheese souffle, but DH's mother used the same recipe and
insisted that it should be served cold with a salad and is called
'Dairy Delight' (her way the souffle collapses a bit).

--
Sally at the Seaside ~~~~~~~~~~ (uk)
On 21 Feb 2006 06:45:57 -0800, "Tina" wrote:

Ok, so now you have to explain, describe and provide the recipe for
cheese rarebit??????

Pleeeeezzzzzzz ?

Tina