Old December 31st 09, 11:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.sewing
Kathy Morgan

Default What would you do to embellish a handbag, to give it a more designer look?

Videophile wrote:

I guess I'm having trouble with this one because I'd actually like to
make a small duffel bag but I don't want it to look ordinary. I'd
like to give it more designer look, if such a thing is possible, but
without the frills and furbelows either that one might be able to put
on a handbag. Just curious as to some ideas from anyone re achieving
something nice in a duffel bag look without it going overboard g.

Well, for a duffel bag you're going to want good strong substantial
webbing for the hand grips and shoulder strap, so instead of plain black
or white webbing, find some colorful rainbow webbing that compliments
the base fabric. You could use some extra ribbing as a contrast band
around the two ends of the bag as well.

It's awkward to find things in a plain duffel; I'd want to add some
zippered pockets on the outside for the small items you might want to
grab quickly. The pockets could also be set off with some of the
colorful webbing.

Monogram it with your initials or first name to make it a bit more
elegant and really stand-out.

The ends could be in a contrast fabric for added interest. Duffels need
to be pretty sturdy. If you don't see a color or print you love in a
sturdy fabric, use any light-weight fabric layered over sturdy fabric
and sew the two fabrics as one.

Hope that helps!

--
Kathy