Old October 24th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.crafts.glass
[email protected]

Default Damn Basement Bandits...

On Oct 24, 9:35 am, "Glassman@work" wrote:
"Michael" wrote in message

ups.com...

Very nice! I wonder why they don't want them anymore? They were
obviously made for that location. I would think it would be difficult
to sell a set of three windows that were custom-built for a specific
location.

You mention basement bandits. Is $1K apiece for them dirt cheap? I'm
not overly familiar with pricing, but they look like they could each
be put together in about a day's time. If there's $200 in materials
in one, that's $800 for labor and overhead. Take a hundred out of
that and a guy would still have enough to get drunk on.

Michael

Pricing is often determined by what we call "perceived value". Just
because you can make something for $10, should you sell it for $20 when it
looks like it's worth $100? An artisan must make money whenever possible to
support all the ones that won't sell at all. People that make money in this
craft, usually have found a little niche to easily make something quickly,
that looks like it's worth alot more than it should be. Sounds like double
talk, but this is the biggest reason so few of us make a living doing this
stuff. If it wasn't for all the repair and restoration, it would be even
fewer.

--
JK Sinrodwww.SinrodStudios.comwww.MyConeyIslandMemori es.com

Well, I have a friend who paints. Takes him maybe a couple three hours
to do a 24" x 30" canvas. Sells them for around $1500. I'm gonna learn
how to paint...or maybe I don't need to "learn"...just grab some paint
and have ago at it and then call it art!!