Old March 3rd 04, 01:34 PM
Polly Esther

You will have enough suede from what must be cut off to conduct some
experiments. Just assuming that you would want to actually turn up a hem,
you will still have to cut away about 2 to 2 1/2 inches.
You can use these scraps to see how well folding and top stitching
works; how well rubber cement works; and there's another way. You could use
the scrap as a tape to apply to a cut edge (lay inside the edge and top
stitch or cement). I have used all three ways. A lot depends on the look you
want and how soft the suede is. Some suede will stretch or curl a little;
some won't give if you let a beaver chew on it. Oh yes. One more. You just
might get away with using Stitch Witchery. Very carefully. Give that one a
try on one of your scraps. I hope something here helps. Polly

"velma929" wrote in message
m...
I've used rubber cement. Spread rubber cement on both surfaces to be
joined, and let it dry. Then press the two edges together, clamp it
or weigh it down. Depending on the thickness or stiffness of the
suede, you probably want to hem the trousers an inch or so longer than
you want them now. Leather tends to develop permanent creases which
will make it hang a little shorter after a few wearings.