Old May 9th 08, 02:05 AM posted to rec.crafts.textiles.quilting
jennellh

Default Thimble substitutes?

Hi Anne, I have needles that are my favourite to sew with and I tend
to use only them, whatever the job. If my thread goes through the
eye, the needle is used! I only switch to a new needle when there is
resistance while sewing. I agree with you about the differences in
the eye end - sometimes that is more important than the
point....jennellh

On May 8, 5:27*pm, Anne Rogers wrote:
On May 7, 4:24*pm, jennellh wrote:

I wonder how long it would take to make a needle hole in the pad??
Does anyone know if this happens with continued use? *jennellh

I've never noticed the pad deteriorate at all, I think you'd have to
sew for a very long time continuously. They come in fairly large packs
and it probably depends a bit on your skin and any products you use
how many times they will restick.

I've also noticed some needles are worse than others, without
necessarily being better for the rest of the job, so you can have a
fairly fat needle that is particularly sharp at the eye end and is
brutal, but a fine needle that you'd expect to be inclined to hole
your skin not be quite so bad. The problem is once the top layer is
gone, you're more vulnerable!

Cheers
Anne