Old July 8th 03, 01:37 AM

On or around Mon, 07 Jul 2003 14:58:53 GMT, there was a message,
possibly from (Phil), as follows:

Not sure where to ask this so thought I'd start here .........

Note: I'm in the UK

My father is a jeweller and has had a kind of mini welding torch for
some years for doing very fine welding work on jewellery (the torch is
a 'Micro-Torch' by Formadent, France).

He has though just found out that he can no longer get hold of new
oxygen cylinders from his usual supplier.

The oxygen cylinders he currently has are labelled:

Prodont-Holliger SA
06140 VENCE FRANCE

and have a brass screw thread

they are 74mm in diameter and 265mm in length

I've done a search on the 'net but can't find anything, not even the
company referred to.

As an alternative, can he get the existing cylinders refilled?

The welding torch uses two oxygen cylinders and one gas cylinder (the
latter is much smaller than the former and has Miniflam written on
it).

Any thoughts or ideas please?

Maybe someone over at
sci.engr.joining.welding
would know more about this one...
There are some people there that know some
really arcane things.

My best guess is that you might be able to salvage the torch itself by
fitting it to oxygen and propane/acetylene bottles and regulators from
the states. If it's old, the ring gaskets in the torch itself will
have to be replaced, and those may be hard to find. Fitting of a
standard hose to the torch may be a bit of a trick, too.

Is a hundred bucks for a new Smith Micro Torch balance with a couple
of days of your time doing hardware hacking?

http://www.mbstevens.com/